More Of MisenPOPic!

Monday, December 7, 2009

Music That Matters: Top 50 Movie Symphonies (#40 Battle Of The Heroes by John Williams)

When the final Star Wars movie was about to hit the movie theaters in the summer of 2005, I was concerned. The first two prequels were entertaining but a little bit on the disappointment side. George Lucas couldn't make the same mistakes on the last movie in the franchise that was going to bridge the prequels and originals together, could he? Star Wars fans all over the world shared the same concerns as I did. We had been waiting years to see the duel between Anakin and Obi-Wan, and the transformation of Darth Vader. Would George Lucas let us down? I was worried from the start when I heard the new song John Williams recorded for the epic fight scene that we have been waiting for. The first time I heard the music, I was a bit disappointed as it didn't sound epic enough. But how could I doubt the genius of John Williams? Has he ever dropped the ball and created music that didn't fit the overall vision of the movie? Glad to say I was wrong as Battle Of The Heroes actually was the perfect motif leading to an intense lightsaber duel between master and student.

George Lucas wanted John Williams to create a tragedy Duel Of The Fates for the big fight scene in Revenge Of The Sith. Williams would deliver another powerful tune for what probably is his last time ever scoring a Star Wars movie. Battle Of The Heroes provides total goosebumps whenever I watch the pivotal scene, and I can't imagine what if John Williams happened to fail. Again, John Williams never fails in these situations so why even question it? Battle Of The Heroes was released as a single in the UK where it peaked at #25. What a song, what a scene, and what a movie! I loved Revenge of The Sith. Thanks to George Lucas for creating the Star Wars movie that we had been waiting for. Great drama, great action, great story, and great lack of Jar Jar Binks.

Ladies and gentlemen.... "Battle Of The Heroes" Star Wars Episode III: Revenge Of The Sith

No comments:

Post a Comment