More Of MisenPOPic!

Thursday, February 4, 2010

MisenPopic Movie Review: Moon


Thanks to the recommendation from my good pal Jim, I rented a movie that I had never even heard of called Moon. In fact, it was the first DVD I ever rented from one of those Redbox machines. It only costs $1 day to rent new releases as long as you return the DVD the following day, otherwise it's an extra $1 each day you keep it which is still less than renting a movie at Blockbuster as long as you return it within a few days. This just might be my new way of renting movies. And I would recommend it to you as well as long as the nearest machine isn't more than ten minutes away from your house. Anyway...

Moon is an independent science fiction thriller directed by David Bowie's son, Duncan Jones, and starring Sam Rockwell as Sam Bell. The only other big name actor to appear was Kevin Spacey, but only off screen as the voice of the robot, Gerty. Sam Rockwell's character, Sam Bell, is up on the moon by his lonesome on a three year contract to extract helium from the soil to provide clean energy back to earth. His contract is just about up, and he plans on returning back to earth to see his wife and three year old daughter. Right before he is scheduled to return back to earth, Sam goes on one last mission which ends up with him hallucinating and crashing his harvest machine. Fade to black, Sam is back in the infirmary with his robot, and then the total mindfuck begins. I wish I could ever explain what the hell I just watched. Once the movie was over, thank god for wikipedia and IMDB because I had absolutely no clue what the hell happened in this movie. It's very complicated and you have to think long and hard about what you just watched. All I will say is that it involved clones, and determining one clone from another really played tricks on my brain. If you like unique movies (and oh how unique this movie was!!) then this is the movie for you. Sam Rockwell was good playing a role quite similar to Tom Hanks' role in Castaway. The score from Clint Mansell was really freaky and I still can't get it out of my head. I might have to rewatch this movie now that I read the premise, although who has the time to watch a movie over again when there is a whole slew of movies to be watched?

Grade: C+ (Did not meet expectations. A unique movie, but just not my type of movie! I think too much as it is! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment