More Of MisenPOPic!

Friday, January 15, 2010

Little Nuggets 1/15


Of course my main focus is still on the Minnesota Vikings Playoff game against the Dallas Cowboys this Sunday at 1:00. But I've actually been collecting a few thoughts to try and keep my mind off of a possible Favre meltdown. If the Vikings do lose this one, I will be as miserable and sad like I was when I was told I wasn't going to meet Paul Stanley three years ago. Actually however miserable I was for that episode, it's going to be ten times worse if they lose on Sunday. And the kicker of it all is I am going to meet my future sister-in-law's family after the game. I know I can be pretty obnoxious when meeting people for the first time even though it's not my intention. But there could be a good chance I'm going to make a bad first impression by cursing and sulking the entire time. Please, for my sake and my brother's sake, let's have a Vikings victory. The Golden Globes are on Sunday night at least which might be able to keep me sane for a day or so. My quick picks and thoughts are included at the end.

This whole late night talk show was is a complete mess. I think more people care about the drama between Conan and Jay Leno than they do about their actual late night shows. I know most people don't like Leno, but I'm in the minority of people who have always felt he was better than David Letterman and should stay on as long as he wants to. He's just lovable and has great timing with his jokes. There actually might not be any real politics going on at NBC. Leno is supposedly a sweetheart and pals with Jeff Zucker, so NBC wants to keep him happy because he is a helluva guy who also appeals to the grandparents out there who are up past their bed time, I also like Conan, but I hear he is a real douchebag besides the fact that his humor is more geared toward a younger audience. With so much crap going on in the world and the fact that I only watch Leno in cycles, this whole mess doesn't really effect me.


What does effect me but knock on wood has been taken care of is that Michael C. Hall aka Dexter Morgan was diagnosed with cancer. His cancer was find early and is expected to make a full discovery. What would my life be like without Dexter Morgan, considering the show is on fire right now and there are more stories to be told. Best wishes in your recovery, Michael C. Hall, and glad cancer won't take your life even though your character has taken many lives.

24 returns on Sunday for it's ninth season. When the show debuted in 2001, I was hooked since the first minute. I kept track of the show for seasons one through six, and introduced the show to a lot of people. But around the fifth season, the show was becoming very stale and totally predictable. How many times would Jack escape another death-defying obstacle, or how many times would CTU be infiltrated by a mole working for the bad guys. I tried to enjoy the previous season hoping there was a good explanation why Tony Almeida happened to still be alive after having been killed previously in a past season. Once again the writing was stale, and the acting was rotten which caused me to give up after just three episodes. Supposedly, the show is back on track. But once I got involved watching better produced and better written shows like Breaking Bad, Dexter, and Mad Men, I just can't stomach any more of Jack Bauer's missions. This show needs to be taken off the air as the novelty of it has worn off four years ago.

Finally, a TV commercial that I have to pause my DVR when watching because it is so great. It's the new Staples campaign featuring a shopper going ecstatic while in an aisle reviewing products and their price. The actor playing the enthusiastic shopper is brilliant with his facial expressions, and I hope they continue this ad campaign. I'm not a programmed idiot who now has to shop exclusively at Staples because of the ads, but I'm curious what would really happen if I went into a Staples or any department store for that matter, and screamed "THAT'S A LOW PRICE!" Instead of being offered a cart from a store employee because there are 7,000 items that are reasonably priced, I'll probably be thrown out of the store. I might need to get my camera and film this, again because I have no shame! Here's the commercial below, be warned that it will make you laugh like a hyena:


I'm out of ideas and that damn Vikings game is beginning to take over my brain again, so here's a quick analysis of the 2010 Golden Globe Awards on Sunday night. These award shows are fun because alcohol is served, the nominees are sitting at tables like they have been seated for a wedding, and the show is less casual than the Oscars or Emmys. The nominees also include some that most casual movie and television fans have seen like The Hangover and Glee. Should make for a fun watch and also is a good determinant of what movies will be nominated for Academy Awards when announced a few weeks later. The TV awards don't matter to most, but they matter to me. Here's who should win and who will win:

Best Motion Picture -- Drama
Avatar
The Hurt Locker
Inglorious Basterds
Precious
Up in the Air
Should Win: Avatar
Will Win: Up In The Air (I think Up In The Air will win the Golden Globe, but the more prestigious Oscar Best Picture award will go to The Hurt Locker which I still need to see per the recommendation of my pal, Kevin)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture -- Drama
Emily Blunt, The Young Victoria
Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side
Helen Mirren, The Last Station
Carey Mulligan, An Education
Gabourey Sadibe, Precious
Should Win: Emily Blunt, The Young Victoria (Because she is the best young actress today and is quite a hottie. Eff you, John Krasinski!)
Will Win: Sandra Bullock, The Blind Side

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture -- Drama
Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart
George Clooney, Up in the Air
Colin Firth, A Single Man
Morgan Freeman, Invictus
Tobey Maguire, Brothers
Should Win: George Clooney, Up In The Air
Will Win: Jeff Bridges, Crazy Heart
(I have heard that Bridges gives the performance of a lifetime, and it's about time he wins some awards for his work. Way to go, "The Dude"!

Best Motion Picture -- Musical or Comedy
(500) Days of Summer
The Hangover
It's Complicated
Julie & Julia
Nine
Should Win: The Hangover (Why not? Critics loved it, and it actually was pretty funny)
Will Win: (500) Days Of Summer

Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture -- Musical or Comedy
Sandra Bullock, The Proposal
Marion Cotillard, Nine
Meryl Streep, It's Complicated
Meryl Streep, Julie and Julia
Julia Roberts, Duplicity
Should Win: Marion Cotillard, Nine (I haven't seen this movie nor do I want do, but if her performance is anything like her excellence in Public Enemies, she should win!)
Will Win: Meryl Streep, Julie & Julia
(I like that actors and actresses can be nominated for multiple roles. Streep is on fire right now, and probably is a shoo-in to win for one of her performances)

Best Performance by an Actor in a Motion Picture -- Musical or Comedy
Matt Damon, The Informant
Daniel Day Lewis, Nine
Robert Downey Jr., Sherlock Holmes
Joseph Gordon Levitt, (500) Days of Summer
Michael Stuhlbarg, A Serious Man
Should Win & Will Win: Joseph Gordon Levitt, (500) Days of Summer (He should be nominated for making me laugh as the totally miscast Cobra Commander in G.I. Joe)

Best Performance by an Actress in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture
Mo-Nique, Precious
Julianne Moore, A Single Man
Anna Kendrick, Up in the Air
Vera Farmiga, Up in the Air
Penelope Cruz, Nine
Should Win: Vera Farmiga, Up In The Air
Will Win: Mo-Nique, Precious

Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Motion Picture

Matt Damon, Invictus
Stanley Tucci, The Lovely Bones
Christopher Plummer, The Last Station
Christophe Waltz, Inglorious Basterds
Woody Harrelson, The Messenger
Should Win & Will Win: Christoph Waltz, Inglorious Basterds (Probably one of the best acting performances of all time!)

Best Animated Feature Film
Coraline
The Fantastic Mr. Fox
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
The Princess and the Frog
Up
Should Win: Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Will Win: Up
(This is a no-brainer. I loved Up almost as much as Meatballs, and with talk of Up getting nominated for Best Picture at the Oscars, this one is in the bag! Score another hit for Pixar!)

Best Director -- Motion Picture
Kathryn Bigelow, The Hurt Locker
James Cameron, Avatar
Clint Eastwood, Invictus
Jason Reitman, Up in the Air
Quentin Tarantino, Inglorious Basterds

Should Win & Will Win: James Cameron, Avatar

Best Screenplay -- Motion Picture
Up in the Air
It's Complicated
District 9
The Hurt Locker
Inglorious Basterds

Should Win & Will Win: Up In The Air

Best Original Score -- Motion Picture (As you know, a personal favorite!)
Michael Giacchino, Up
Marvin Hamlisch, The Informant
James Horner, Avatar
Abel Krozeniowski, A Single Man
Karen O. and Carter Burwell, Where the Wild Things Are

Should Win: Michael Giacchino, Up or James Horner, Avatar

Will Win: James Horner, Avatar

Best Original Song -- Motion Picture
"I Will See You," Avatar
"The Weary Kind," The Crazy Heart
"Winter," Brothers
"Cinema Italiano," Nine
"I Want to Come Home," Everybody's Fine

Should Win & Will Win: "I Will See You," Avatar

BEST TELEVISION SERIES, DRAMA

Big Love

• Dexter

• House

• Mad Men

• True Blood

Should Win & Will Win: Mad Men (Season 3 of Mad Men was fantastic and probably deserves the award more for this season than for the uneven season 2. Dexter is now getting some buzz, but critics seem to forget they hated the entire season except for the phenomenal finale. I'd love to see Dexter win this award someday, but it wasn't as good as Mad Men this year)

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION SERIES, DRAMA

Glenn Close, Damages
January Jones, Mad Men
Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife
Anna Paquin, True Blood
Kyra Sedgwick, The Closer

Should Win: Julianna Margulies, The Good Wife

Will Win: January Jones, Mad Men (the weakest actress on Mad Men but still gets raves for some unknown reason!)

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A TELEVISION SERIES, DRAMA Simon Baker, The Mentalist
Michael C. Hall, Dexter
Jon Hamm, Mad Men
Hugh Laurie, House
Bill Paxton, Big Love

Should Win:Michael C. Hall, Dexter (He should win this every year. Maybe he'll get a sympathy nod due to his recent cancer diagnosis.)

Will Win: Jon Hamm, Mad Men (It sure is a good thing that Bryan Cranston from Breaking Bad was not nominated maybe because the show was ineligible so Hamm has a legitimate shot. By The way, why hasn't Vincent Kartheiser who plays Pete Campbell on Mad Men been nominated yet?)

BEST TELEVISION SERIES, COMEDY OR MUSICAL

30 Rock

• Entourage

• Glee

• Modern Family

• The Office

Should Win: Modern Family (even though I personally can't stand this show!)

Will Win: Glee (I've already admitted on record that I one of ten heterosexual males who watch this show. It's fun, but in no way,shape, or form should it even be considered the best comedy television series on the air. But I have a strange feeling that it's going to win. )

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTRESS IN A TELEVISION SERIES, COMEDY OR MUSICAL
Toni Collette, United States of Tara
Courtney Cox, Cougar Town
Edie Falco, Nurse Jackie
Tina Fey, 30 Rock
Lea Michele, Glee
Should Win:
Lea Michele (Because she is adorable and can belt out a tune like nobody her age I have ever seen)
Will Win: Courtney Cox, Cougar Town
(Please, anybody other than Tina Fey!!)

BEST PERFORMANCE BY AN ACTOR IN A TELEVISION SERIES, COMEDY OR MUSICAL

Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock
Steve Carell, The Office
David Duchovny, Californication
• Thomas Jane, Hung
• Matthew Morrison, Glee

Should Win: Steve Carell, The Office (The man is simply brilliant even if his character Michael Scott has lost a step or two over the past three seasons. He is deserving of the award for the entire run of The Office.)

Will Win: Alec Baldwin, 30 Rock (I hope so, because Matthew Morrison from Glee who also is a front runner for the award might be the worst actor in the history of primetime television. Dustin Diamond (Screech from Saved By The Bell) could even outact this guy.)

Have a great weekend, and enjoy the best weekend of NFL Football of the season. Of course I'll be all over the place on Sunday for the Vikings game. I'll also be rooting for the Cardinals, Colts, and Chargers (sorry to my dad but I can't stand hearing about them anymore!)

Skol, Vikings, Skol!

Mikey

No comments:

Post a Comment