More Of MisenPOPic!

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

MisenPOPic Movie Review: Invictus


Clint Eastwood seems to have been directing movies lately at the same rate that Rihanna unveils nude photos of herself on the internet. Over a four year span, we have gotten Letters From Iwo Jima, Flags Of Our Fathers, Changeling, and Gran Turino. Now I loved Gran Turino and would recommend it to all cinema aficionados who might have missed it as this was his best movie not only as a director but as an actor as well. But his other movies, although very well done and entertaining, didn't really give me the ooomph feeling after I was done watching them. Mystic River, Unforgiven, and Million Dollar Baby were good movies, but they weren't films I would have any desire to rewatch. It's hit or miss with Eastwood movies for me, although at least I know his movies will be thought-provoking. Also every movie he touches gets nominated come awards season. His recent movie, Invictus, just came out last week and since I try to see the movies with Oscar buzz to form my own opinions, I went today to check it out and hoped for the best.

The movie is based on the life of Nelson Mandela during the 2005 Rugby World Cup as he strives to end apartheid and unify the county of South Africa. Mandela is played by Mr. Clark, oops I mean Morgan Freeman, who does a fantastic job and based on prior history will get an Oscar nomination. If you can nail portraying a historical figure in an Oscar-worthy film like Jamie Foxx, Forrest Whitaker, or Phillip Seymour Hoffman, you are getting a nomination no matter what. He builds a relationship with the captain of the rugby team, Francois Pienaar played brilliantly by Matt Damon who deserves his Golden Globe nomination for Best Supporting Actor in order to boost team morale and become a challenger for the World Cup which is being hosted in their home country. Mandela feels that if the rugby team can gain the support of the black South Africans and succeed in winning the World Cup, it would unify and inspire the country. While many of Mandela's staff doubt his ambitions and goals, he sticks to his guns in order to achieve his goals and prove to be an effective leader. Besides Freeman and Damon, there werent any other big name stars in the movie. I wish I understood the game of rugby as it does look like an exciting game. I must say the actual game footage in the movie was outstanding.

Invictus has a feel good message, and it should warm your heart to see forgiveness and unity felt between the white and black South Africans as they attempt to forget about the past and move forward. I thought Matt Damon was excellent as previously mentioned even if he does look nothing like the real Francoise Pienaar. Could anybody else have played Mandela other than Morgan Freeman? Right now he is the front runner for Best Actor although I am anxious to see George Clooney's performance in Up In The Air which I'll probably see on Christmas before I decide who should win the Oscar. The movie was entertaining and Clint Eastwood did a great job of making you know and care about the minor characters such as Mandela's security team and the other members of the rugby team. It was a good movie, but I don't think it's worthy of an Oscar nomination for best film. Considering it got shut out of the Golden Globes for best film, the chances don't look good. I enjoyed the film and loved the message it portrayed, but it didn't give me the wow! feeling as I sat watching the end credits.

Final Grade: B (Met Expectations)

1 comment:

  1. yes Gran Turino was awesome! to hard to follow up with a hit right afterwards....

    ReplyDelete