More Of MisenPOPic!

Saturday, December 5, 2009

MisenPOPic Movie Review: The Blind Side


On my Jamaican vacation last week, per the recommendation of my father-in-law after watching Michael Oher block Jared Allen very well in the Vikings/Ravens we attended, I read The Blind Side. I thought the actual story of Oher was going to be the bread and butter of the book. That stuff was really moving, but the author's in-depth history of the importance of the blind side thanks in par to Lawrence Taylor, Bill Parcells, and Bill Walsh really taught me some things I never really knew about the NFL. Ironically, as I added the book to my reading list, I started to notice movie trailers for The Blind Side. I usually enjoy the books better than the movies that come later on, so I wasn't sure what I would think about the movie. It has gotten mixed reviews, although some feel that it might earn Sandra Bullock an Oscar nomination and might be the best work of her career. The Blind Side tells the story of Michael Oher, a quiet but rugged football player from the wrong side of the tracks. He attends a Catholic school to be given an opportunity to better his situation, and of course to help the sports program. Problem is that he doesn't say much and has never learned in a controlled environment before. He struggles to fit in the classroom, but absorbs information like a sponge. He is taken in and adopted by the Tuohey family, specifically Lee Ann Tuohey who is a rough southern belle with a heart of gold. They treat him like one of their own, and guide him as he struggles to learn how to play offensive tackle and keep up in the classroom. With dedication and hard work along with the guidance of Miss Sue, Michael Oher graduates and heads to Ole Miss on a football scholarship. But is he going to Ole Miss because he was influenced by his adopted parents? The NCAA becomes involved and inquires if he chose to go to Ole Miss because the Tuoheys were boosters of the school who might have guided him in order to reap the benefits of him playing for their alma mater, or was the decision strictly Michael's?

The movie pretty much held true to the book with a few things switched around to make for a better film. It got a little dusty in the theater for me, and I drew some tears for the first time in awhile. Which is strange because I had already read the book and knew what was going to happen. I guess I'm a sucker for a heartwarming story. Sandra Bullock is getting all of the acclaim, but I thought Quinton Aaron who played Oher did a magnificent job and deserves some recognition for his work. The Blind Side was a nice little movie, and it makes you appreciate that people do have hearts of gold. Was it the best movie I've seen this year? Not even close, although my wife would probably beg to differ. I'm now more invested in Michael Oher's career and want to see if he will become one of the greatest offensive tackles of all time. I recommend The Blind Side for those who have goodness in their hearts, and those that like football movies.

Final Grade: A-

No comments:

Post a Comment