More Of MisenPOPic!

Thursday, October 22, 2009

MisenPOPic Movie Review: Big Stan

Rob Schneider's movies will never make critics top 10 lists, but some of his movies have made me cry very hard with laughter. Schneider uses simple comedy bits in his movies to get a laugh, even though he gets criticized for exactly that. It's either hit or miss with Rob Schneider. I never get tired of watching the two Deuce Bigelow movies or his supporting roles in his buddy Adam Sandler's movies like You Don't Mess With The Zohan and Big Daddy. Yet, I want to throw my remote control into my TV screen every time The Animal or The Hot Chick appears on Starz.

I'm currently a member of Blockbuster Online Express, for which I have another month of free service until I switch to Netflix. This service allows me to keep on getting movies sent to my house or I can take out 5 movies a month at any Blockbuster Store. A few weeks ago while scanning the new releases, a Rob Schnieder movie happened to catch my eye called Big Stan. I didn't recall seeing this movie out in theatres, but the premise looked good. It finally came to my house yesterday, and I found some time to give it a screening.

In a nutshell, here is what the movie is about. Schneider plays Big Stan, a scheming salesmen who cons people into buying timeshares. While trying to get an old lady to buy a timeshare, he is arrested by police and has to show up in court. Stan remains calm and thinks he is above the law. The court finds him guilty, and his sentencing will take place the following day. He fires his lawyer, and calls an ambulance chaser (played by the gret J. Emmitt Walsh) to try and bribe the judge to reduce his sentence. The plot backfires, and Stan is sentenced to 1-3 years in prison. Stan is scared (as he very well should be) that he is going to be raped. His new lawyer was able to postpone his start date for six months so Stan could get his affairs in order. Stan makes various attempts to get in shape to no avail, and decides that he will let his wife rape him first to know what it's going to feel like. After experiencing the pain and deciding he won't be able to deal with it, he decides to take karate with a bunch of little kids. He gets his ass handed to him, but meets an old karate master outside the dojo (played by the late David Carradine) who agrees to teach him the ways of kung fu. After extensive traning from The Master, Stan is ready and heads to prison knowing he will make it through. Stan makes his presence known by beating up the rapists and gang leaders to ensure that he is the toughest guy in the joint. What eventually happens is that he takes his role to heart and builds a community with the other inmates establishing rules to no longer rape others and to get along. Seriously, I'm not making any of this up.

Rob Schneider also directed the movie, and got some press for passing out on set due to heat exhaustion. Perhaps he was looking for this to be his Shawshank Redemption. The movie has some funny bits, but it's nothing to write home about. Nice surprise cameos by Randy Couture, Bob Sapp, Don Frye, and even Ahman Green. Usually these movies are about85 minutes, this one was an extra twenty minutes too long. Unless you like Rob Schneider's other movies, I would stay away.

Grade: C+

No comments:

Post a Comment