More Of MisenPOPic!

Thursday, January 7, 2010

MisenPOPic Update 1/7/10

I hope you enjoy the new themed logo as much as I do. It's a tribute to my favorite Muppets. I'm expecting big things for the Muppet franchise in the next few years. A new movie in the same vein as The Muppets Take Manhattan is in the works being written by Jason Segal, the Bohemian Rhapsody viral video featuring the Muppets became an internet phenomenon, and sooner or later Disney will start creating hot new merchandise featuring the famous Muppet characters. The Muppets are a huge part of my life, and perhaps one of the only consistent pop culture nuggets in it. I loved the Muppets as a nursery school toddler making sure with my mom that I could watch The Muppet Show in prime time. I hold precious memories of going to see The Great Muppet Caper and The Muppets Take Manhattan with my grandma in the cinema. I remember seeing Muppets From Space during a random Saturday morning in college and holding back tears of joy. I remember collecting the Palisades Muppets action figures and hanging each one up on my wall, and also happy with the amount of cash I gained from selling them on ebay two years later. And you can be damn sure that the Muppets will be a huge part of my child's life as well. I am putting my foot down on a lot of licensed kiddie crap like Dora and Hannah Montana, but have no issues with my kid being bombarded with Muppets dolls, clothes, and music! Muppets are timeless, and appeal not just to kids, but to grown-ups and losers like me who still sometimes acts like a kid.

A few people have asked my opinions of the People's Choice Awards. I glanced at the winners, and it was no surprise that the winners represented all of the crap the Madison Avenue has been pushing down our throats: Twilight, Taylor Swift, yadda yadda yadda. If it truly is the People's Choice, why can't the winner be who actually receives the most votes without an actual ballot telling you who to vote for. These awards just show how stupid people are who vote simply on the trends that they are told are cool. It came as no surprise that Mad Men, Breaking Bad, Dexter, AC/DC, or Steel Panther weren't recognized. People's choice awards are just another lame excuse to make the fans think they have a say in picking what is the best. Stupid! Although KISS actually never won a Grammy but did win a People's Choice Award in 1976 for their classic ballad, Beth!

CBS has announced the cast for the next season of Survivor All Stars, which came as no surprise to me thanks to internet spoilers. But I'm really excited with the cast, and if it is anything like the previous All Star edition of Survivor, it will make for some kick-ass television. I'm working on a preview which should be up by the end of the weekend. Otherwise with very little on television, no movies that I'm dying to see in the theaters, and walking out of Barnes & Noble empty-handed, I am spending a lot of time with my music collection listening to the songs that I've rarely listened to as well as browsing through each song to make sure they are in the correct playlists and are of decent quality. I've said it once and I'll say it again, put me in a room with just food and my itunes collection, and I can spend all day listening to music and creating unique playlists for myself.

Speaking of which, my itunes are calling to me right now. Hope your New Years is off to a good start, and I'll be back tomorrow saluting the best song of 1988 in my eyes although you might have never even heard of it.

Mikey

1 comment:

  1. I just read yesterday about Jason Segal writing the new Muppet movie. That could be really good! I'm looking forward to it.

    ReplyDelete