More Of MisenPOPic!

Saturday, October 24, 2009

MisenPOPic Movie Review: Saw VI


It's that time of the year again; the end of October when the latest Saw movie hits the theaters. Although each consecutive sequel has made less money than the previous one, Lionsgate still keeps rolling these movies out. You'd figure it must cost a lot of dough to create all of the gadget and contraptions. Yet, they are able to make these movies on the dime with lesser known actors. I assumed Saw VI was going to be the last Saw movie. I'm so wrong. Rumor has it that Saw VII, VIII, and IX are on the way, with one of them possibly being filmed in 3-D.

I have to give credit where credit is due. Unlike other horror franchises like Nightmare On Elm Street, Friday The 13th, and Halloween, each movie in the Saw series stays consistent with the overall theme. When you watch each individual Saw movie, you are seeing the overall puzzle being put together one piece at a time. To really grasp this psychological drama, you have to start with the first Saw and work your way to the latest one in the series. Unfortunately, some of the Saw movies are really good while others are stinkers. Before giving you my take on Saw VI, I would have to rate them in the following order:
1) Saw II
2) Saw III
3) Saw I
4) Saw V
5) Saw IV

Saw is getting a little political on us. In Saw VI, a big theme in the movie is the state of insurance in the U.S. and how it chooses who lives and who dies. Even though Jigsawhas been dead since the fourth installment, he still plays a huge part in Saw VI. I don't really want to give anything away, so I'm going to make this review nice and quick. Even though it's mindless filth (or so it seems to the public), I enjoyed the movie and get off watching these crazy bastards stuck in horrible situations in order to determine if they have the will to live. I was worried that the Saw franchise was spinning off the tracks and had no reason to continue. Saw VI has me confident it's back on cue. Of course, it ends on another cliffhanger that keeps you at the edge of your seat. I simply can't wait until next October to find out what happens next. Saw VI is a definite improvement over Saw V, and the torture scenes were pretty intense. If you're a Saw fan, I'm sure you already have plans to see it. If you never have seen a Saw movie, don't waste your time just yet. Go back and rent the other movies first to determine if Saw is for you.

Final Grade: B+

No comments:

Post a Comment